Celebrate for Oak-Leyden
Celebrate for Oak-Leyden – When you’re celebrating life’s happy milestones, it’s the perfect time to spread that joy by helping others. If you’d like to help Oak-Leyden in lieu of receiving gifts for a wedding, birthday, house party or other occasion and prefer a non-social media option, here’s how to get started:
1. Prior to your party or event, we will drop off Oak-Leyden brochures or flyers so your guests can learn about our programs, and if you’d like, we’d be happy to have a member of our leadership team on hand as well. Email or call Lori Malinski, Director of Development, with the date and details of your occasion at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 708-524-1050 ext. 102.
2. Send an email to your guests or add a note to your event invitation to make your wishes known. Here’s one example:
“I’m sharing my celebration with Oak-Leyden Developmental Services. In lieu of gifts, please consider a donation to this Oak Park social service agency, which helps children and adults with developmental disabilities to meet life’s challenges and reach their highest potential. Oak-Leyden provides early intervention and an array of therapies for children birth to age 5, two Lifelong Learning Centers and a supported employment program for adults with developmental disabilities, and 12 group homes for adults.”
3. Provide a link to the online donation form on our website: https://www.oak-leyden.org/get-involved/donate
4. If you prefer to collect and submit the donations yourself, please mail your check made payable to OAK-LEYDEN DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES to: Oak-Leyden Developmental Services, 411 Chicago Avenue, Oak Park, IL 60302. Be sure to include your name, along with a list of donation amounts accompanied by donor contact information (name, address, phone and email) so that we can send each donor a thank-you note and a donation receipt.
Thank you for sharing your happiness with the children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities that we serve!
Elementary/Middle/High School Student Partners
1. Volunteer your spare time. Choose an activity that best matches your schedule. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:30AM-4:30PM, and we always have office support projects for after school or days off.
2. Organize a group project. If you’re not available during our operating hours, consider getting your friends together for offsite activities such as assembling snack packs for our participants, or collecting items for our Wish List. (We can pick up your donated items!)
Host Your Own Fundraiser
Planning an event to benefit others is a wonderful way to unite a group of caring individuals. A fundraiser to help the children and adults Oak-Leyden serves is an ideal project for school children, scout troops, book clubs, sports teams, service clubs, religious organizations, families and other groups. Good Samaritans of all ages can get involved by setting up a hot chocolate or lemonade stand during a block party, holding a yard or rummage sale, selling baked goods, holding a car wash or hosting a dinner party. The fundraising possibilities are limited only by your imagination!
Here’s how to get started:
1. Think about a date and goal for your fundraiser.
2. Email or call Oak-Leyden’s Director of Development, Lori Malinski to register your event. Oak-Leyden will provide guidelines for collecting, recording and submitting your donations.
3. Let us know if you need help with invitations, stickers, receipts or other materials.
4. Spread the word about your fundraiser to friends, families and coworkers.
5. Keep a record of all contributions by individuals or groups—including volunteer hours and donations of products, services and money. Record each donor’s contact information (name, address, phone and email), so that we can send a thank-you note and a donation receipt.
6. Take photos of your event and be sure to email some to Oak-Leyden.
7. Have fun supporting Oak-Leyden. Thank you for your generosity and hard work on behalf of our participants!
Upcoming Fundraising Event: